My best of July !

July 17th - Saint André west. 153 km triangle
See flight on OLC
A I was camping at Saint André with family, I wanted to" assure" my circuit flight to not land out. Very strong thermals at times (I had 10.7 m/s for over 10 seconds above Cote Longue) which is a bit frightening when you enter and leave them !
Near to Saint André in the evening light during my 214 km triangle


Take off at Saint André
July 23rd - Saint André south TO. Wind SE. 214 km triangle
See flight on Google Earth here
See flight on OLC
I was surprised to find such a breezy SE wind at Saint André. As the 1st climb drifted quite quickly to the NW and towards Digne, I opted to get out of the mountains and out into the "flat lands". Further west looking towards the Mountain de Lure a good cloud street had set up going all the way to the Mont Ventoux. On the south side of the Lure, I nearly blew it getting really low with harness open, but got a lucky save at the last moment (see trace at 2.30 pm !). East of the Ventoux  there was a big drop in cloud base levels (it looked like a seebreeze front - only here it's air coming out of the Rhone Valley). I then headed north for about 25 km under some good clouds. The wind was still east and between 20 and 25 km/h at 3000 m. (The British league stopped their task as pilots found the east wind in the lee of Pic de Bure and in the Veyne's Valley too strong and turbulent). I now had an into wind leg of 100 km to get back. Good clouds and a cloud base of 3600 m made it possible to advance. The last 30 km the wind was more from the SE again and as I got back to Saint André there where plenty of PG's and HG's flying the evening lift on the south side. Distance 214 km triangle  and 7hrs 43 mns in the air : the longest in hours I've ever flown.
Out in the flat lands on the 214 km Saint André day, looking south down the Durance Valley

July 26th - Laragne Chabre lower south - FAI triangle 231 km
See flight on Google Earth
See flight on OLC
As the British open was still on, I rigged up and got off early from the lower south take off before the competitors. The day forecast was good with cumulus clouds and light winds at 3000 m. I decided to try a FAI triangle similar to the one I did on the 10th of may (which was 218) but extend a little bit each turnpoint. So, first TP to the west near Sederon, then north to the Obiou, where after the last cloud, I went out into the blue and got a few more km's before turning back south onto Obiou and getting back to cloud base which was at 3300.
Looking north to the summit of Obiou
A cloud street led to the east of the Pic de Bure which made for fast and easy progress whithout turning for about 20 km. Then a long glide across the Champsaur north of Gap on to the SW faces of the Ecrins where some good looking clouds and a few sail planes got me up to over 3800. From here, it was the long glide over the Serre Ponçon lake onto the Morgon then onto the Dormillouse, where there were also good clouds, and I crossed paths with other PG's, HG's and sail planes. 
Over the Dormillouse looking south towards the Tete de l'Estrop
The Tête de l'Estrop was my 3rd TP. I wanted to go further east as the sky looked good, but this would of made the return leg into the "lee" side of the Blanche (where it was a west wind) difficult and dangerous if I were to get too low. The return leg to Laragne was the easiest of the few times I've done it, as there were still some good clouds and I was able to climb to 3540 m 30 km out, and got a good glide in boyante air, and with enough height to over fly take off before landing at the Laragne campsite at 6h45.Talking to Gordon Rigg whilst derigging (the British Open task was 142 km) he said he thought it was one of the best days he'd ever flown on (I'm not sure whether he meant just at Laragne, or any where in the world !). I felt that I didn't  exploit the full potential of the day, a 250 triangle was definitely possible. So that still gives me something to aim for !
Over flying Chabre take off at the end of the flight
July 31st - Laragne Chabre top south - 160 km triangle
See flight on OLC
The wind was predominant NW, but on take off it was constantly switching around all points of the compass. Got off on the south side and headed off west up the Chabre, where near the Col Saint Jean  I found it to be really turbulent above 2600 m. There was at least 20 km of NW wind. I then headed north just after Serres. There didn't seem any point continuing north with the head wind so I headed south down to the Plateau de Valensole and nearly to Moustiers at the entrance of the Verdon gorge. The return back to Laragne was a real battle with a lot of yo-yoing with the wind. Really pleased to get back just after 7 pm after  6hrs 22 mn for 160 km triangle. A very modest average speed of 26 km/h due to the wind. 

So that was the best of July for me, there were other flights but they weren't that special !

What is this strange flying machine ?

Commentaires

  1. Hello Mark,

    I had the chance to meet you at take off in St-Andre on july 25th, & a few hours later in St-Andre "down village" (thunderstorms in the mid of the afternoon); on july 26th you took off from Chabre, I started in aspres, & as I supposed, we crossed just before l'Obiou; a few minutes later I couldn't see you again, personnally I flew to the east, crossed Valgaudemard valley, but was too low when I started the crossing, & finally had to land in chauffarey; I looked at your flight track & recognized it was you I crossed near l'Obiou, well done, your strategy was the best, you could cross the Devoluy (SE direction from l'Obiou) without loosing too much height, I was just north of you (more E direction) & lost too much hight. enjoy & maybe see you another time in the south alps

    cheers

    Richard Claus

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Hi Richard, Have just found your kind message. Yes I knew it was you when we met up near Obiou, as I recognized your hangglider from the day before at Saint André ! All the best for the late summer autumn flying ! Cheers Mark

      Supprimer

Enregistrer un commentaire